Uh Oh Christmas Hazards for Cats & Dogs

There are many items in your household at the holiday season that are special to you and your family. But guess what, they might be special to your pet also, as something new to explore and eat!

Let’s talk about Christmas Trees:
  • Tinsel: As beautiful as it shimmer’s in your home, however, it can also be eye catching to your dog or cat.  If ingested it can cause a life-threatening intestinal obstruction.
  • Lights: Who would have thought they tasted good?  For a dog or puppy that is a chewer it is something that goes on and on, just what they like!  This puts your pet at risk for burns, electrical shock or a traumatic injury to their throat or tummy.
  • Salt: Salt ornaments that are made at school are so precious but can be deadly to dogs.  Keep these treasures high up on your tree to keep them away from your four legged pets looking for a snack.
  • Water: For those of you who still get a live tree, fertilizers and the bacteria attracted by the water can be harmful to your dog or cat.  Please use a tree skirt to cover the water so your furry friends don’t think it is their new water bowl.

Don’t forget to anchor your tree to the wall if you have a kitty that may want to go climbing!

Special Treats?
  • Fatty, spicy foods as well as bones should not be fed to your pets.  Your pet can join in the fun of the holidays in ways that won’t lead to expensive medical bills!
  • Chocolate and anything made with xylitol (such as chewing gum) are known hazards to your pets but added to this list should be: caffeine, grapes, onions, raisins, almonds, alcohol, almonds and walnuts.
Noise:
  • If you are having people over to celebrate the season remember your pet might not be feeling so excited.  Music, lots of people, noisy poppers can terrify pets and cause possible damage to sensitive ears. The best place for your pet during your gathering is a secure, safe, escape-proof area away from all the fun – and noise.
Holiday Plants:
  • Did you know holly, mistletoe, and poinsettia plants are poisonous to dogs or cats? Holly, when ingested, can cause pets to suffer nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. Mistletoe can cause gastrointestinal upset and cardiovascular problems. And many varieties of lilies can cause kidney failure in cats if ingested. Opt for just-as-jolly artificial plants made from silk or plastic, or choose a pet-safe bouquet.
Let it Snow, Let is Snow, Let it Snow:
  • We all love to see it snow but our beloved four legged friends who may hate it still have to go outside.  The safest way to help your pet is to just clear a path for your pet to get out to the yard.
  • If you find it necessary to put something down to help with clearing the snow and ice ensure you are using a “pet safe” salt.  If not this can cause chemical burns on your pets pads.